Hours after I shared my self-portrait photo via Facebook days past I started to receive questions about how I made my ABS as appeared on their screens. First of all, I am NOT a fitness professional, gym has always been my preferred place to feel good by burning excess calories and shedding accumulated negative energies. It has been a part of my simple lifestyle to keep my health as good as I can.
However, I believe in the power of knowing. A person who has acquired a good education can give you the best advice in terms of program and diet but it is only you who can make it work. Not all is made for all; with the height of information technology, ignorance can sometimes be a choice.
Our bodily response to certain diet and program differs from one to another- our genetic compositions can ally this fact. There are many considerations to spot which one best suits you. Basically, you can look for a fitness professional to getting things started.
Your GOAL is important. You can't undermine the common goal which is our HEALTH just because you want to look like Cristiano Ronaldo or David Beckham BUT why not. You can be aesthetically pleasing as the mentioned athletes without sacrificing the benefits of going to gym and adhering to proper diet.
Some think that diet has something to do with depriving one's self of the foods that can be eaten. Diet is tailored on your goal and pre-existing health conditions. Portions of major components on your plate namely STARCH,PROTEIN and VEGETABLES/FRUITS depend on whether you want to gain or lose weight.
In my case, I have trained myself to appreciate foods based on the nutrients that I can get from them. This is tough but you don't do this everyday all throughout your life .CHEAT DAY is the term used to describe a day when you allow yourself to what you are restricted to eat- a day or two is not bad.
I replaced my white rice with brown and opted to eating lots of vegetables (fiber is important) and lean sources of protein. There are good foods in which I refrain from eating because of high allergen content. Lactose intolerant like me has to look for lacto-free milk if you have uric problem to have soya or almond milk as alternatives.
![]() |
| Self-portrait: Jovie Suganob Tuyac |
Take note that what you eat during your cheat day can still affect your goal. Body has its own mechanics- it stores its own reserved energies (calories) by which when not utilized will develop into FATS. To cite an example, do not eat five times the overall volume of what you eat the rest of the diet days especially if you are aiming for weight loss and lean muscle.
People who are into body building sports basically don't mind the foods they eat during BULKING stage. BULKING simply means eating a lot with low intensity kind of work out. During CUTTING phase they eventually cut the consumption of CARBS while increasing PROTEIN for fat loss and building muscle respectively- they do these with stack of supplements that work for them.
Overdosing with supplements can backfire your health. I don't have enough knowledge to debunk the effects of INJECTABLES (especially steroids) to our health in the long term. Fitness professionals are not really NUTRITIONISTS or DIETITIANS so if you engage to a routine of diet and exercise make sure to consult your PHYSICIAN first especially if you are taking prescribed medicines that will interact with REGULATED fitness products.
Cases like hypertension and bone-related problems are important to be considered- this is what I always tell them NOT ALL IS MADE FOR ALL. I have known some who had their spine fractured and some who fainted because of the sudden spike of blood sugar and pressure during a session. THIS can be aggravated when heavy weights fall on your face.
WE ARE WHAT WE EAT and this applies to my friends who asked me how I got IT. You can't just rely on crunches and cardio only to eat twice the calories you burned after your session. Although there is this AFTER BURN EFFECT but you still have to weigh it on your major goal which is the CALORIC DEFICIT.
Fat loss can sometimes lead to muscle wasting. Check your progress with the supervision of your fitness professional. Diet and program can be changed to prevent this or to overcome PLATEAU.
Six-pack abs is good but don't make it as your main goal. Mine appears and sometimes disappears. It has to come as reward but not as TROPHY.
Know what is the acceptable BODY MASS INDEX or body fat percentage from fitness authority. You can never go wrong with eating the right foods and keeping a healthy lifestyle. And remember, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW YOUR LIMITS UNLESS YOU PUSH YOURSELF TO THEM.

Very inspired writing Jovie! You put all the facts there for us to think about and choose from! GREAT JOB!!!
ReplyDelete