Monday, December 19, 2016

Compassion and Responsibility for Animals

With Hunter on our way to CARA Mandaluyong
Remember Hunter the lost beautiful soul who was rescued in Kamias Road Quezon City? He is now happily living with his new family.

Hunter is a short-haired Dachshund estimated to be around six to seven years old this year. I spotted him one morning as I was having my coffee in the upper floor.

I feel sad everytime I see stray dogs rummaging for foods in the garbage. So when I suspected him to be a case of NEGLECT, I went downstairs immediately and asked the scavenger ( person who was also looking for something from the same pile of garbage) who was shooing him if he owns the dog.

It took us  time to tame the nameless dog. He seemed to be scared  as he might had to endure the threats he encountered while trying to find his way back to his owner and survive at the same time.

With permission from my landlady, the new four-legged friend was accommodated temporarily while I did what I thought was fair for the real owner. We reported the case to the nearby village and I personally went to the other but all to no avail.

Taking care of Hunter was the first noble thing I did for his kind. He was shy at first and sad for being away from people he used to be with but eventually becomes dear every passing day.

I provided him his needs until he became comfortable to sleep with me in my room. MONEY CAN BUY YOU A FINE DOG BUT ONLY LOVE CAN MAKE HIM WAG HIS TAIL.

But your CARE shouldn't end in ATTACHMENT. You really have to find ways to make sure that the one you care about will get the best that he deserves.

I emailed several foundations for animal welfare and talked to some people who expressed their willingness to adopt Hunter. I was already emotionally invested to my roommate so I had to make sure that he will be leaving for a good life.


Hunter (now named Cooper) and his new brother (brown)Monty. According to Ms. Tanya, Cooper is under restrictive diet as prescribed by vet due to his delicate spine. His spirit has been revitalized. 


My worries disappeared after talking to a person over the phone, her name is Ms.Tanya Guerrero. She introduced herself as the Vice President of COMPASSION AND RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANIMALS or CARA Philippines.

Like humans, PETS need LOVE and CARE. You don't want to get pregnant and just abandoned the child after giving birth for no valid reason at all or without making sure that the child is in hands of beautifully hearted people.

I do believe that PHILIPPINES needs to create a law that will regulate pet ownership in addition to existing one for animal cruelty. Pets especially DOGS can become detrimental to the health or safety of others when neglected.

The story of Hunter encourages everyone to consider adoption than patronizing puppy mills. Our love as owner shouldn't fade as the pets get older.

CARA or any foundations for ANIMAL WELFARE is not the last resort for rescued pets. Ms.Tanya felt how I wanted to keep Hunter with me if only I could- I have my pets too but I had to send them to my brother for their well- being.

CARA offers affordable spay and neuter for pets as part of their advocacies. Feel free to share your blessings with the foundation by contacting them through their website.

I may not see Hunter  again but Ms. Tanya assured me that the lucky, snouty and sweet as he naturally is lives in a better place now. Thank you very much CARA for the CARE.

To end the story, I would like to remind all owners of the stress your pets may experience this season. Keep them safe from injury-causing firecrackers.




1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful, heartfelt blog. Very well written. Good ideas too!

    ReplyDelete