Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Symbolic Simala Shrine

I celebrated my 33rd birthday last November 9. It was the most memorable birthday so far because for the first time in more than 30 years I get to celebrate that special day with my mother. I flew from Manila to Cebu to see her again. I planned for that day carefully so as not to waste time and money but create memories that I could cherish for the rest of my life. A simple but meaningful and very far from the usual birthday party with friends and strangers.

Lindogon Simala Sibonga Cebu is where the Monastery of the Holy Eucharist or simply known as Simala Shrine is located. It is the site of several miracles like icon Mama Mary shedding tears. Devotees flock to this site for healing and thanksgiving for answered prayers. I must admit, I wasn't there as devotee but just a tourist who loves his mother. Simala Shrine is a perfect “symbolic” place in Cebu where a grateful son can take his mother to as part of honoring her for the love.

Being there gives you a feeling like you are in Europe. The gothic design of the church is reminiscent to that of Italy, Rome and France.One could imagine how beautiful this place will be once the construction is completed. I am not a religious person (define spiritual) but the place is perfect to be included in my itinerary. I would probably return to Simala Shrine but hopefully with the addition of my grandmother who stood as our mother as well.














No comments:

Post a Comment